Monday, July 30, 2018

Tutaonana Baadaye (See You Later)


             I have always been told, “Even if a person is not with you, keep them close to your heart and they will watch over you.”

When I was young, I imagined that my heart had a room in it with one whole wall being made of glass. When I am apart from someone, they go into the glass room showing how they will always stay in my heart. In my glass room, I have always had my grandpa, and God. Year by year, more people join them: Winder, Jesus, and Julio, from Nicaragua; Srey Tom and XO from Cambodia; and many others. Now as this trip comes to an end, the students and teachers of LOAMO will be joining them. Goodbye is always the hardest word to say, I have heard many times that it is not “goodbye”, it is a “see you later”. I hold on to this, because even though I will forever have them in my heart, I would just about burst if I got to see them again.

                Jordan Edward was one of the first students I really made a connection with. On the first day, he was struggling with his math work and the teacher asked me to help him. At first, I was scared I would not be able to explain it well, but after the first few problems, I learned that a visual aid thoroughly helps. We would count on my fingers together and when he would realize he had reached the right answer, his face would light up and he would quickly right it down. A warm feeling of happiness expanded through me as I realized that I was able to help him. The next day, when he recognized me and said good morning to me, my heart grew. The warm feeling returned, expanding through my body, radiating outward through my smile. In that moment, I knew I needed to give my all to these students.

                Friday was sports day. I could feel the anticipation in the class room. When the time finally came to play, it was like a dam opened and all the stress was let go. The teachers and the students all played the same games, and all the classes came together to play football or other small games. They have this one game similar to Monkey in the Middle, but they would try to hit the person in the middle. The person in the middle would try to duck, and when the ball would go out of bounds, they would try to fill up a coke bottle with sand. If they filled up the bottle, the person in the middle won. Yet, if they got hit with the ball, the two people on the outside won. Teacher Upendo and Teacher Lillian both played, it was entertaining to see them taunt the students as they dodged the ball and filled up the bottle. When I wasn’t playing Monkey in the Middle, I would play clapping games with the kids from my class. When someone would get out, the whole circle would light up in smiles and laughter. Then we would start again until we had our final winner. Even though they didn’t win, all of the kids would cheer, shout, and celebrate the winner. This touched my heart to see all the kids being happy for one another.

                Today was one of my last days teaching. I tried to cherish every single moment, every single laugh, and every single smile. I never want to leave, more so, I never want to forget. I never want to forget the warm greeting that slipped off the locals tongues, or how vivid the colors of their clothes looked in the Tanzanian sun. Most of all, I never want to forget the stories I learned here. They taught me to be strong and brave, and how you can conquer anything if you put all of your heart into it. No matter how bad the odds may be stacked against you, there is always a way to find happiness and laughter. In all, I think the kids at LOAMO perfectly represent one of my favorite quotes, “Don’t tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment