Saturday, June 29, 2019

There is no end if there is a connection


                There is a commonly asked question: if you had 24 hours left to live what would you do? While I would love to take a hot air balloon ride, nothing can ever fulfill a life more than human connection. Nothing can ever replace the lifelong connection I share with my family, but in the past two week I also formed an unforgettable, everlasting connection with all of the students that I taught. When I leave the school knowing that my lesson went well and everyone learned something while also having a little fun, there is no other feeling like it. You feel as if your smile could never leave your face, you have an extra little pep in your step, and you feel as if you have at least made a small, but important, change in the world. However, truthfully I feel that the people of Morocco have taught me more in these past two weeks than I have taught them. They showed me determination in their school work, learning their fourth or fifth language trying to beat a system that is stacked against them (In Morocco it does not matter what level of education you receive it is very hard to get a decent job without connections to someone who could pull some strings for you). Their determination goes beyond choosing to come to school during their summer break, they would always come to class prepared and yearning to learn something new, and as I mentioned last time, they are always going the extra mile. One day Piper and I had asked the class to choose a topic for a discussion that was going to happen on the following day, Ibtihal suggested “the effect of technology on our lives” however, the class voted to do the discussion on climate change. None the less, Ibtihal came to class the next day with a research paper on “the effect of technology on our lives” and she asked us if we could read over it to make sure that it was grammatically correct. Not only did she spend her free time to write a research paper, she also wanted to improve and wanted us to help her to correct it. Additionally, they have showed me kindness. On the final day we chose to play trashketball ( a game where if you answer the question correctly you can shoot a crumpled up paper ball in to the bin for extra points), and while there could only be two winners, every time someone answered the question correctly, or make a basket everyone would cheer and clap.  Not only did I see kindness in the classroom, I also saw say kindness in our home visits, as Lisa Marie says, “Moroccan hospitality is like no other”. As you walk into their home, they welcome you with open arms and instantly it feels as if you are walking into the house of your long lost friend. They greet you and always apologize for not preparing enough, which seems crazy, because in America we offer a drink and maybe something to eat, but here that bring out as much as they can, such as pastries and tea. In addition to this, on the home visit to Hiba’s house we asked them what they would like to let Americans know about Islam, and the parents explained to us that there are five families living in one house and they all share one bathroom. Islam had taught them how to be kind and how to treat their neighbor, explaining how they are all close like family, thus helping them to live peacefully with one another and they wish that the same peace could exist in the world as well.

                Yesterday was the last day, they day of goodbyes. At the party, we all danced to the blaring music, and all the friends I had made over these past weeks tried to teach me how to properly dance to Moroccan music. Later in the night the music stopped and it was time to say goodbye. There is a quote that has been running through my mind a lot this trip, “You do not cry because you are weak, you cry because you have been strong for too long.” – Johnny Deep. At first, sadness filled my heart, but I did not cry. Then I looked around to all of my students, who were hugging and saying good bye while silent tears trickled down their faces. It hit me like a wave crashing onto the beach, I will never them again, and then the tears started to well up in my eyes as well. Kawtar came over and as she fanned my face to dry my tears, she told me, “Don’t cry, don’t cry.” However, as we said our final goodbyes and they walked out the door I saw the tears running down Kawtar’s face as well, and it made me start to cry all over again. I will never forget my students, how they came determined to every class and how their kindness has inspired me to be more kind. It is always sad to say goodbye, but I am glad I had the wonderful opportunity to spend these last two weeks with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment